In 1995, Danson House, a Palladian villa by Robert Taylor was deemed the most significant building at risk in London. Following extensive restoration by English Heritage it has been returned to its former Georgian glory. Completed in 1766, Danson was built for wealthy merchant Sir John Boyd. The house was designed to reflect its original purpose, that of a country house dedicated to entertainment.
The sumptuous interior decoration tells stories that reveal the passion of Boyd for his wife and the love they shared. The principal floor takes in the austere Entrance Hall that would have held Boyd’s collection of souvenir sculpture from the Grand Tour. The exquisitely gilded Dining Room presents a set of wall paintings by Charles Pavillon. The octagonal Salon houses the only known portrait of Boyd in an original painting that has been reframed to the design of William Chambers. Chambers also made considerable changes to the house shortly after it was completed.
The impressive Library is home to a George England organ, built for the house, and still in working order. Further displays relating to the history of the house and its inhabitants can be found on the bedroom level. The principal floor is licensed for civil wedding ceremonies and can accommodate up to 65 guests. There is a programme of events throughout the year.